Thursday, June 23, 2016

Chapter 5 - Course Design and Instructional Planning

1 - I print the syllabi and reference materials for each of my classes - both in undergraduate and graduate studies. It doesn't matter if I am in an online or face-to-face course, I must have all pre-assignment materials printed and readily accessible. The most valuable aspect of the syllabi is the calendar or description of assignments. I use these to determine my busiest times of the week and therefore when I can plan for extracurricular fun! I enjoy the self-paced learning style the best and as a result have thrived in online courses. I can handle face-to-face, but one can only take so many 3-4 hour classes before they become trite.

2 - Social and cultural features are important to the learning environment. If a teacher negates these essential elements - that are present in every student in ever classroom - then, the learning environment could become uncomfortable. Students, especially those who do not speak the native language, can feel unsafe because of a disregard to their background.

All students can learn and it's up to the teacher to determine how to ignite that learning. Course should be planned in a manner that is respectful of multiple learning modalities, cultural backgrounds, and linguistic accommodations.

3 - Composition courses demand the learner to communicate a synthesis of ideas. This means there is no set formula or timeline for a student to follow like in other disciplines. As a result, many students find tremendous discomfort when writing because there is no safety net. Writing is subjective. Composition courses involve some level of criticism, students have to learn how to comprehend suggestions and acknowledge that sometimes outside opinions are not helpful. These aspects are unlike those in many other courses at the K-12 level. Once a student reaches sophomore level collegiate courses, the argument could be made that other disciplines require just as much as composition courses.

4 - I need a challenge and engagement. My best collegiate learning experiences were at Richland College (a community college in Dallas). My professors were passionate and excited about their fields and wanted to engage students in that same excitement. I had a Chemistry professor who described concepts using volunteers in the classroom. She brought Chemistry to life and as a result I took Organic Chemistry as an elective the next semester. That class, which is designed for Science majors, was one of the hardest classes on campus, but I loved every minute of it! I tend to check out, but still earn an A, if the instructor is dismissive about learning or the assignments are unfulfilling.

Lessons should be designed in the following manner: activate prior knowledge; build on that knowledge; and, push students past that knowledge. For example, when assigning the task of composing a persuasive essay, ask students if they have ever tried to get money from a friend/family member. This activates a foundation for the lesson. Then, ask them to think of how adults may persuade one another (election years are always helpful with this one). Finally, challenge students to communicate their wants in a persuasive essay. This should be relevant to them and not something arbitrary. This process is helpful because students can connect with the content on a deeper level.

5 - The hallmarks of a productive classroom boil down to two features: being prepared and knowing your students. A highly prepared and intelligent teacher will soon fail if they are unable to connect with their students. Conversely, a teacher who has a great connection with his/her students, but is ill-prepared for class will undoubtedly become one of their "friends" instead of their instructor. There should be a balance when teaching. I like when my voice is heard and valued in a classroom. I realized this late in high school after a memorable incident with a teacher playing favorites. I never wanted my students to feel that.

Classroom management starts with classroom expectations and consistency with rules. This combined with the aforementioned hallmarks of a productive classroom are the foundation for a positive learning environment.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you regarding a teacher who is ill-prepared for class, but has a great connection with the students will undoubtedly be seen as a friend instead the instructor. Several of my colleagues and I discussed this as we completed our volunteer work. We were young still students ourselves and felt a strong connection with our students. We weren't under pressure to over a tremendous amount of material, so that left us with a lot of time to bond with our students. This resulted in students becoming our friends and not taking our instruction seriously. We have since then developed a balance between the two and it has made our classroom environment shows no favoritism or competitiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with you regarding a teacher who is ill-prepared for class, but has a great connection with the students will undoubtedly be seen as a friend instead the instructor. Several of my colleagues and I discussed this as we completed our volunteer work. We were young still students ourselves and felt a strong connection with our students. We weren't under pressure to over a tremendous amount of material, so that left us with a lot of time to bond with our students. This resulted in students becoming our friends and not taking our instruction seriously. We have since then developed a balance between the two and it has made our classroom environment shows no favoritism or competitiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that you take the feelings of students into consideration. I've heard horror stories of teachers making students uncomfortable because they made an inappropriate comment. I agree that learning environments should be a safe place for students. I also agree that a course should be engaging. A subject could be the most complicated and a struggle area for the student, but if a teacher can present it in a different way then it could make all the difference. For example, I had bad associations with math starting from the second grade but it wasn't until my 11th grade year in Algebra 2, that a teacher presented the information in a different way. Since then, I don't think math is all that bad.

    ReplyDelete