Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Chapter 2 - Understanding Student Populations

1. Conventions of writing in English can be drastically different than other languages. One must be able to identify tense, meaning in context, and proper spelling depending on the numerical amount. This is difficult to teach and learn because almost every conventional rule in English has an exception. Generally speaking, these exceptions fail to provide a comprehensible rationale and feel arbitrary.

2. I would like to know where my students are from, so I am better able to serve them. I want to be able to build a rapport with my students so I am able to choose activities catered to their cultural and linguistic needs. I was an English Conversation Partner with the Intensive English Language Institute at UNT. I had two "students": one from Korea and the other from Saudi Arabia. The Korean student loved Eminem (the rapper) and pizza, while the Saudi student was very traditional and wore a full length black robe. It was imperative for me to really know both of them academically and socially, so I could better build our conversation topics/activities. I need this same information to effectively teach my current L2 students.

3. I would like to know what programs are offered by the educational institution. For example, UNT provides a special institute for L2 students. I don't remember the requirements for entry, but as an English Conversation Partner, I was able to see a whole new aspect of my campus. Now, as a middle school teacher, I think of my L2 students and how I can help them in the class. However, I am aware that their families may need English assistance as well. I would like to know what programs are in the area that can better assist the whole family. I'd like to also know about any updates to the rules and regulations associated with ESL students and these are generally covered in faculty or teacher preparation meetings.

1 comment:

  1. I particularly appreciate your desire to know your students beyond their cultural identity. Gaining personal information about their interests can aid in designing lesson material that they will find most interesting.

    ReplyDelete